How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 38910
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Tax Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I paid my ex 15k in mythical equity labeled as E.D. when

This answer was rated:

I paid my ex 15k in mythical equity labeled as "E.D." when in fact it was a bonus or extended P.S.S. If I can prove we were upside down on home mortgage, I have a appraisal showing there is no equity. The I.R.S. is auditing me. Can i clam the 15K?
The Internal Revenue Code contains an extremely specific definition of spousal support. The following elements must exist, or the transfer between spouses is a nondeductible and nontaxable division of marital property. There are no exceptions to the rule.

The elements are found in IRC 71(b)(1), as follows:

The term “alimony or separate maintenance payment” means any payment in cash if—

  • (A) such payment is received by (or on behalf of) a spouse under a divorce or separation instrument,
  • (B) the divorce or separation instrument does not designate such payment as a payment which is not includible in gross income under this section and not allowable as a deduction under section 215,
  • (C) in the case of an individual legally separated from his spouse under a decree of divorce or of separate maintenance, the payee spouse and the payor spouse are not members of the same household at the time such payment is made, and
  • (D) there is no liability to make any such payment for any period after the death of the payee spouse and there is no liability to make any payment (in cash or property) as a substitute for such payments after the death of the payee spouse.
If the court order satisfies the elements, it's deductible spousal support -- otherwise not.

Please understand that I "justanswer" questions “about” the law. I cannot be responsible if the law does not favor your unique circumstances. The best that I can do is to explain what the law "is" and what it "is not."

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!

socrateaser and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you