How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29798
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Tax Deductions or credits

Customer Question

I have a disable son 25 blind, non-verbal, mentally disabled, medical as well. My wife and I are legal guardians. He live with us, thankfully. Is there any tax credit or deductions we can take on our taxes?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 5 years ago.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
You are entitled to many tax deductions and credits for your son.
First of all - you might be able to claim your son as a dependent.

You may be eligible for higher earned income credit because of your dependent child.
Credit for the Elderly or Disabled This credit is generally available to certain taxpayers who are 65 and older as well as to certain disabled taxpayers who are younger than 65 and are retired on permanent and total disability. See more information here -
Medical expenses you pay for your son may be added to other medical expenses you could deduct.

Some home improvements capital expenses to accommodate your son's disability may be deducted as medical expenses.
If you have child care expenses and you and your spouse both work - you may claim a credit.
For more information on tax credits and benefits available to disabled taxpayers, see Publication 3966, Living and Working with Disabilities -

or Publication 907, Tax Highlights for Persons with Disabilities -
Let me know if you need any help.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.



I understand the basics on the medical and I do claim him.

I am looking for more specifics on care deductions for a disabled adult.

Since he is 25 and lives with us, I was looking at if there is anything on expenses outside of medical that we can claim. We as everyone else are gettign killed in the economy and looking to take advantage of the tax code.


General tax info I am good with.


Expert:  Lev replied 5 years ago.

First of all - to claim a deduction - you need to have specific expenses. If you have any expenses and are not sure if you may deduct them or not - please give me details and we will evaluate from the tax deduction prospective.

I am looking for more specifics on care deductions for a disabled adult.

If you paid for the care of a qualifying individual so that you (or your spouse if you are married) could work or look for work, you may be able to claim the credit for child and dependent care expenses. An individual is physically or mentally incapable of self-care if, as a result of a physical or mental defect, the individual is incapable of caring for his or her hygiene or nutritional needs, or requires the full-time attention of another person for the individual's own safety or the safety of others.

If you qualify for the credit, complete Form 2441 - with Form 1040. If you received dependent care benefits from your employer (this amount should be shown on your Form W-2 , you must complete Part III of Form 2441.
Refer to Publication 503, Child and Dependent Care Expenses, for additional information -