How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29577
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If an Irish resident were to work abroad can the Irish revenue

Customer Question

If an Irish resident were to work abroad can the Irish revenue demand tax from your eanings in another country wether you have paid any tax there or not? What would be your legal requirements?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 5 years ago.


Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
In general, the employment income of a non-resident individual working abroad is not liable to Irish tax. However, such an individual may have a liability to Irish tax on the income attributable to the performance in the State of the duties of that employment. In general, matters such as -

--an individual's residence and/or ordinary residence position for tax purposes;
--location of the source of income; and/or
--where the duties of a trade, profession or employment are exercised,
are likely to have a bearing on the extent of an individual’s liability to Irish income tax.

Section 1 will help you to determine whether you are resident or non-resident for Irish tax purposes in any particular tax year.

Section 2 outlines some questions that an Irish resident individual going abroad to work on a temporary basis might have.

Section 3 outlines some questions that an individual going to work or live abroad on a long term or permanent basis might have.

Section 4 outlines some questions commonly asked by individuals coming to live in Ireland for the first time or by Irish citizens returning to live in Ireland having been abroad for a number of years.
Let me know if you need any help.