How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29657
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello......Two years ago my wife and I received a post card

This answer was rated:

Hello......Two years ago my wife and I received a post card in the mail announcing we had won two round trip air fare tickets to anywhere in the continental US and a vacation to one of several destinations, plus several other small gifts. The card said all we had to do to receive these gifts was attend a presentation for a travel club. The name of the company making the presentation was Good Times Travel here in San Antonio, TX. They were representing Outrigger Vacation Club in Tulsa, OK. We were very impressed with their presentation and the considerable savings we would realize on all our travel and vacation needs. Each couple, that attended, was assigned to a sales representative that began the "hard sell' routine and made the point that the special price, that was being offered that evening, would not be available the next day, if we waited. I'm usually very cautious about transactions, such as these, but ignoring my better judgement, we agreed to their offer and paid them a total of $7,593.00 that evening. We attempted to make travel arrangements with Good Times several times and it never worked out. At first, it was easy to call and talk to a representative on the phone, but as time went by we would get a phone recording to leave a name and number and our call would be returned ASAP. They returned our call one time and then our calls were ignored. Now, I understand, Good Times closed their doors shortly after we joined the club and departed to parts unknown. We did contact Outrigger Vacation Club, in Tulsa, OK, only to be told that they were not responsible for the companys that represent them ( sounds fishy). By the way, we never did get our gifts for attending the presentation. Is their anything, in the tax laws, that would alow us to recover our "stolen money" or a portion of it? We're devastated by our loss and now I have serious health issues to handle. Any funds we could recover would be a blessing for our mounting medical bills. Thanking you in advance........Regards.......Paul M. Woodward, Jr. (email:[email protected])


Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
I feel sorry for your situation. Generally you may deduct casualty and theft losses relating to your properties and money on your Federal income tax return. You may not deduct casualty and theft losses covered by insurance unless you file a timely claim for reimbursement, and you must reduce the loss by the amount of any reimbursement.
A theft is the taking and removing of money or property with the intent to deprive the owner of it. The taking must be illegal under the law of the state where it occurred and it must have been done with criminal intent.
Casualty and theft losses are reported on Form 4684, Casualties and Thefts. Section A is used for personal-use property.
Let me know if you need any help with reporting.


As long as your losses may be classified as theft - you may deduct them.
The taking must be illegal under the law of the state where it occurred and it must have been done with criminal intent.
For a theft loss, in case of audit - you should be able to show all the following.
-When you discovered that your property was missing.
-That your property was stolen.
-That you were the owner of the property.
-Whether a claim for reimbursement exists for which there is a reasonable expectation of recovery.

Most likely - you were a subject of scam or fraud - which may be treated as theft. You are not required to file a police report or sue other party in order to claim a theft loss - but in case of audit having a police report or a court judgment might be helpful to proof that the action is illegal under the law of your state.


Hi Lev......Thank you very much for your fast and reassuring answer. I appreciate your hard work and expertise in finding a resolution to my difficulty. I know my wife will be very pleased, when I show her your response to my question. Thanks, again! God bless!.........Paul

Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you