Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

what are my options when an employer sends me a 1099 that is

Customer Question
completely incorrect,and now the IRS...
what are my options when an employer sends me a 1099 that is completely incorrect,and now the IRS is looking for roughly 4K?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
9/2/2011
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 6 years ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Hello, THANK YOU for choosing Just Answer. My goal is to help make your life...a little...LESS taxing.

You should contact the business that issued the 1099-MISC and ask them to send you a corrected 1099-MISC. Be sure to keep documentation of your communication with them.

If you are unsuccessful getting a satisfactory answer to the discrepancy or getting them to agree to send you a corrected 1099-MISC, you will need to call the IRS at(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Explain that you received a 1099 and you disagree with the amount that was reported on it, and that you’ve tried to resolve the situation with the business, but have been unable to.

Ask the IRS complete a Form 4598, “Form W-2 or 1099 Not Received or Incorrect.” (You have to request it via this phone number and IRS must complete the form -- It's not a downloadable form.

You’ll need to give the IRS the payer information from the 1099 you received and the details of how you arrived at your own valuation figures. The IRS will send the complaint form to the business, who has 10 days to respond (you should receive a copy as well).
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
In the meantime, while you are working on getting the matter resolved, if you were sent a Notice Of Proposed Assessment or Changes, check the disagree box on the form and send it back by the date indicated.
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant