How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tax.appeal.168 Your Own Question
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3470
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Tax.appeal.168 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what are my options when an employer sends me a 1099 that is

Resolved Question:

what are my options when an employer sends me a 1099 that is completely incorrect,and now the IRS is looking for roughly 4K?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 5 years ago.
Hello, THANK YOU for choosing Just Answer. My goal is to help make your life...a little...LESS taxing.

You should contact the business that issued the 1099-MISC and ask them to send you a corrected 1099-MISC. Be sure to keep documentation of your communication with them.

If you are unsuccessful getting a satisfactory answer to the discrepancy or getting them to agree to send you a corrected 1099-MISC, you will need to call the IRS at(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Explain that you received a 1099 and you disagree with the amount that was reported on it, and that you’ve tried to resolve the situation with the business, but have been unable to.

Ask the IRS complete a Form 4598, “Form W-2 or 1099 Not Received or Incorrect.” (You have to request it via this phone number and IRS must complete the form -- It's not a downloadable form.

You’ll need to give the IRS the payer information from the 1099 you received and the details of how you arrived at your own valuation figures. The IRS will send the complaint form to the business, who has 10 days to respond (you should receive a copy as well).
Tax.appeal.168 and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 5 years ago.
In the meantime, while you are working on getting the matter resolved, if you were sent a Notice Of Proposed Assessment or Changes, check the disagree box on the form and send it back by the date indicated.