Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I live in Calif. and remodeled my house in 2009. No square

Customer Question
I live in Calif. and...
I live in Calif. and remodeled my house in 2009. No square footage was added to the house - covered front porch was added - but the county assessor increased the property's assessed value. The big dollar portions of the remodel was a redone kitchen (ie. new cabinets, new sink and counter tops, new appliances) but layout was the same and no additional sq. footage; guest bathroom was redone (replaced tub, sink and sink cabinet, toilet); replaced wall heating with HVAC and duct work associated with that; new flooring through out - armstrong vinyl and carpet; replaced water heater tank with tankless water heater; installed a larger electrical panel.

1)Why did the county increase my property's assessed value - and, thus, my property taxes?
2)Doesn't Proposition 13 come into play here?
3)Does it not matter that no square footage was added?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
9/2/2011
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 6 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

LEV :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
Because of new construction the value of the property was reassessed. Subsequently, real property is reappraised for tax purposes when new construction is completed.
If you think that assessment is incorrect - you may appeal. See more information here - https://lacaab.lacounty.gov/pdf_forms/AssessmentAppealsHowToPrepareBrochure.pdf
and here - http://www.boe.ca.gov/proptaxes/pdf/pub30.pdf
California’s system of property taxation under Article XIIIA of the state Constitution, commonly referred to as Proposition 13, values property at its 1975 fair market value with annual increases limited to the inflation rate, as measured by the California Consumer Price Index, or 2%, whichever is less.
Under certain conditions, persons aged 55 and older or severely disabled persons of any age may transfer the Proposition 13 factored base year value of their principal residence to a residence acquired or built as its replacement. If you qualify - you need to file an application within your county.
It does matter for determine the value of your property, but because county assessors must annually assess all taxable property in the county - that fact may not prevent reassessment.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor