Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Help! My brother died without a will and Im working my way

Help! My brother died without a...
Help!
My brother died without a will and I'm working my way through probate court (wish me luck there). He left only $500 because we discovered in his check register he was giving away money to charities like crazy just before his death.
If I eventually get the $500 from his checking account, can I donate the money rather than keep the cash?
9/2/2011
MequonCPA
MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer:

The determination of who is entitled to the estate is determine by intestate rules. See link below.

http://www.mystatewill.com/statutes/va_law.htm

Assuming you are the beneficiary, you have the right to do whatever you would like with the money.
MequonCPA
MequonCPA
MequonCPA