How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MequonCPA Your Own Question
MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2342
Experience:  CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
MequonCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Help! My brother died without a will and Im working my way

This answer was rated:

My brother died without a will and I'm working my way through probate court (wish me luck there). He left only $500 because we discovered in his check register he was giving away money to charities like crazy just before his death.
If I eventually get the $500 from his checking account, can I donate the money rather than keep the cash?
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer:

The determination of who is entitled to the estate is determine by intestate rules. See link below.

Assuming you are the beneficiary, you have the right to do whatever you would like with the money.
MequonCPA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions