How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 38906
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Tax Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am starting an online resale business in Georgia and would

This answer was rated:

I am starting an online resale business in Georgia and would like to know what type of company i should form and what tax id numbers do I have to obtain?The business is home based.

For most people, the only reasonable choice of a business entity is a Limited Liability Company (LLC). The reasons are:

1. It requires only a registration with the government -- no other articles, bylaws, resolutions, etc. are required.
2. It requires no formal meetings, whereas a corporation does.
3. It requires no specific management personnel (no President, Treasurer, Secretary, etc.).
4. It requires no separate accounting -- the owner can use a Form 1040 -- Schedule C to report taxes (as long as there is only a single owner).

In short, an LLC is the simplest legal entity and provides substantially all of the value that any other legal entity can provide. See this link.

Concerning tax identification numbers, you will need an EIN from the IRS. See this link. You may also need a sales and use tax certificate from the Georgia Department of Revenue. See this link.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!

socrateaser and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you