Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Is it advisable or even legal for another local community,

Customer Question
charitable organization go "Piggy Back"...
Is it advisable or even legal for another local community, charitable organization go
"Piggy Back" on an extablished tas exempt organization? This group now holds an
official 501(c)3.

How Long does ir normally take to obtain a tax exempt aiuthorization?
Thank you.

Robert Myers [email protected]
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
9/1/2011
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 6 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

LEV :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
It is not advisable and not legal to allow another organization to use the tax exemption status of another charitable organization.
That may result the charitable organization status to be revoked.

Non-profit status is a state law concept. Non-profit status may make an organization eligible for certain benefits, such as state sales, property, and income tax exemptions. Although most federal tax-exempt organizations are non-profit organizations, organizing as a non-profit organization at the state level does not automatically grant the organization exemption from federal income tax.

To apply for recognition by the IRS of exempt status under section 501(c)(3) of the Code, use Form 1023, Application for Recognition of Exemption, and its instructions. The application must be complete and accompanied by the appropriate user fee. See Application Process for a step-by-step review of what an organization needs to know and to do in order to apply for recognition by the IRS of tax-exempt status.
In most situations 501(c)(3) approval takes between 2 and 12 months.
I just run into this nice article - http://jemez.org/mitigation/501C.htm How to Become a Tax-Exempt 501(c)(3) .
You may find it helpful as it shares someone's personal experience.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor