Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Both me and my wife are green card holders, we are currently

Customer Question
in the process of buying...
Both me and my wife are green card holders, we are currently in the process of buying a house. My mortgage advisor recommended to me to apply for the mortgage and write the offer with my name only as my credit score is a little bit higher than my wife, then after closing I can gift her half of the equity, this will save me about $2000 in the closing fees. is there any tax associated or any other complication when I gift here half of the house, the house is about $320000
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
9/1/2011
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 6 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

LEV :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
While gifts between spouses generally do not have any tax consequences - different rules apply where the recipient spouse is not a U.S. citizen.
A partial marital deduction is allowed for gifts to non-citizen spouses - for 2011 this exclusion equals $134,000.
If you gift more than this amount - you are required to file a gift tax return.
However - the gift amount in your situation is not the value of the property - but your equity which is the total value of the property minus mortgage liability.
Thus if the house value is $320,000 and your mortgage is $250,000 - the value of your gift is ($320,000 - $250,000) / 2 = $35,000 that is within the marital deduction limitation.
Let me know if you need any help.

Customer:

my wife is a green card holder also, so you mean that the gift is actually half of the down payement not the value of the house , is that correct?

Customer:

Hi are u still there

LEV :

Yes - that is correct - the value of a gift which is a subject of liability should be reduced by that liability.

LEV :

For gift tax purposes only matters if the recipient spouse is not a U.S. citizen.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor