Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
30050794

I work for a company in Lynchburg, VA and my residence is in

I work for a company in Lynchburg, VA and my residence is in West Virginia but I am temporarly working in Maryland and have rented a apartment in Maryland to cut the cost of hotel expenses. I go back to West Virginia every other week. I am paying state taxes in West Virginia and this week was charged Maryland state tax also. Do I have to pay taxes in two states?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 5 years ago.

Stephen E. Grizey :

Hi & thanks for using our service. I'll do my best to give you a complete & accurate answer. Please ask me to clarify anything you don't understand.

Stephen E. Grizey :

No. If you are a resident of West Virginia and are working in Maryland, your employer is required to withhold Maryland income taxes on your earnings in Maryland. At the end of the year you will have to file a non-resident income tax return with Maryland & settle up with Maryland based upon what your tax works out to be less your Maryland withholding. You may be overpaid & entitled to a refund.

Stephen E. Grizey :

Then, when you complete your regular resident West Virginia return, your "Maryland income" will also be reported on that return; HOWEVER, you will receive a credit on your West Virgina return for any taxes paid to Maryland, up to the amount of West Virgina tax computed on that Maryland income. So there is no double taxation of your "Maryland income".

Stephen E. Grizey :

The state where you earn the income has the first claim to tax those earnings; since you always must report all of your income to your resident state, you receive a credit (on your resident state income tax return) for any taxes paid to another state.

Stephen E. Grizey :

Please remember to ACCEPT; it is the only way we get credit for our work. Feedback, if you have time, and bonuses where you think they are warranted, are always most appreciated. I'll be happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.