How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JKCPA Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5884
Experience:  CPA with tax experience.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
JKCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How long do I have to file an amended return for my 2007 taxes

This answer was rated:

How long do I have to file an amended return for my 2007 taxes?
( Can I file it within the next 2 months? )

I don't remember if I sent them in on 4/15/2007 or filed an extension and sent them in on 10/15/07. Does it make a difference to the "amended return" which date I actually sent in my tax paperwork? Thanks

Thanks for your question.

Yes, you have three years to amend the return from the date you filed the return or the return due date whichever is later. So if you filed on the extended due date, 10/15/2008, you have until then to amend your 2007 tax return with a Form 1040-X.

If you filed your 2007 in April of 2008, then the IRS will not accept any amendment since the 3 year statute has expired. You can call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 and ask what date that they received your 2007 return. If it is earlier than 3 years ago, then there is no need to file the amended return. Or you can just send in the amended return and hope for the best. The IRS will let you know later if they could not amend your tax return.

Best regards,
JKCPA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you