Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

How long do I have to file an amended return for my 2007 taxes

? ( Can I file...
How long do I have to file an amended return for my 2007 taxes ?
( Can I file it within the next 2 months? )

I don't remember if I sent them in on 4/15/2007 or filed an extension and sent them in on 10/15/07. Does it make a difference to the "amended return" which date I actually sent in my tax paperwork? Thanks
9/1/2011
JKCPA
JKCPA, CPA

Thanks for your question.

Yes, you have three years to amend the return from the date you filed the return or the return due date whichever is later. So if you filed on the extended due date, 10/15/2008, you have until then to amend your 2007 tax return with a Form 1040-X.

If you filed your 2007 in April of 2008, then the IRS will not accept any amendment since the 3 year statute has expired. You can call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 and ask what date that they received your 2007 return. If it is earlier than 3 years ago, then there is no need to file the amended return. Or you can just send in the amended return and hope for the best. The IRS will let you know later if they could not amend your tax return.

Best regards,
JKCPA
JKCPA, CPA
JKCPA
JKCPA
JKCPA, CPA