How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CGCPA Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3820
Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters
Type Your Tax Question Here...
CGCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


Customer Question

Can someone tell me (preferably a Enrolled Agent) how can a taxpayer take a detailed course on correspondence audits. I am fed up of people acting like it is a severe big deal. Ive found out how to help 2 close friends -how to totally beat their audits (both being different). I just want to know is there a course a taxpayer can take or association and last organization, that would help a regular taxpayer on how to educate themselves on all irs audits. I would love to just take a course without being a professional tax pro- although I am very astute when it comes to taxes. I think I refer ppl to EAs normally and wind up helping friends due to the ridiculous things they tell me-what was told to them. I really would just love for a person to refer me to a person,organization,association or course. I've heard of 1 or 2 but felt I knew more than referrals. I just hate taking a week or two to help friends figure out correspondence audit. I've always been very helpful but don't like taking weeks. Really would enjoy a mailing audit course that is reputable and not a waste. Thanks
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jax Tax replied 5 years ago.

Jax Tax : There are enrolled agent courses you can buy at Amazon. Part three is representation. Audits for the most part are easy. Provide the requested information if you have it. It usually boils down to the coiner having the info. Check Amazon. Turn Key makes one.
Customer :

Hi jac I actually think u helped my fiance with a issue he has bee got finalized. He actually is taking th EA exam but he doesn't like helping my friends as one was a (ex). I just want to find out this part (as I know about pt 3),but just want to take a course specifically on tax correspondence audits. I don't even want the more paramount and intricate pt 1 or 2. I have my own cooking biz as well so I don"t have time as I use to. Anyway Amazon was actually one place i researched but I really wanted didnt get no luck. I really was hoping to find a EA or organization that held a course even a college (continued education)? I just want to find out statute legalities oppose to me trying to help people and taking weeks sometimes- really think a course just specifically for this issue would be great. PS My fiance wanted to find you and say thx. we use the same acct most of time so i dont know if he got u.He specifically tells me to ASK FOR YOU as he is (on road to being EA) i think company he is with is Fast forward???? Anyway sorry as usual to be verbose but I really want to find a sure thing-course or other and I don't mind if you are not sure -i really think my friend went to a taxpayer audit course and I know my hubby only works for money LOL-even if its my family. Anyway we really want to thank you - you are one of the better pros.

Jax Tax : Well, one thing you are concerned about is the legality. You really need to be an enrolled agent, attorney, or CPA to represent people before the IRS. Without such, you cannot have direct contact with the IRS or be noticed of any decision or copied on any correspondence. If you want to make money, you can't rely on others (your clients) to give you info. 50% of my audits are won on appeal, which you also cannot participate in. Even preparers now have to be liscensed. Participating in the audit is not the hard part. It is knowing tax. The auditors are often wrong when of comes to tax.
Jax Tax : I don't know of a particular audit course. Audit is tax. The only other thing is providing documents. USPS can do that.
Customer :

Thx jax, respectfully- I dont think i want to do it for the money I just always find myself helping as a elder in church. Anyway I really want to say thanks I think my hubby wants to try to be a Professional more for the people who try to scare taxpayers though he does practice as well. He did know 2 courses that was not good. I Respectfully XXXXX XXXXX say thank you as we have been so blessed w/ the community and support. Anyway i know i will be trying to contact you as to my small business when my fiance' doesnt want to help. Thx Jax and much success. I am going to try to see if Someone knows of any sort of assistance. God Bless.

Customer :

Jax I have been trying to set a more precise answer but I guess i wasnt clear but I really want someone who knows of a specific course-not ea exam if possible. Please help me rectify this issue as I was trying to get a answer by tonight

Expert:  CGCPA replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.


As a CPA I am required to spend 40 hours per year in Continuing Education. One service provider I have found reliable is PES. Here is a link to material offered by them for home study:


This should serve your purposes. Jax is also correct in stating that there will be limits on your functioning. These limits are imposed by law with the purpose of insuring that taxpayers are properly represented. However, knowledge is never wasted and even if you simply serve to coach individuals it contributes to their well being as well as helping remove the panic many experience when receiving mail from tax agencies.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
either a professional give me a answer or pleeeeease not answer. I know of certain unfit courses but looking for a pros answer but not info to suggest they dont know and just want my money for question. normally have better success and i just got a new biz myself so im hoping only to get a answer and not pay for a experts opinion on not knowing or just please DONT ANSWER. love sight my husband and i use it all the time.
Expert:  CGCPA replied 5 years ago.

I am a professional. CPA stands for Certified Public Accountant and we are licensed to represent taxpayers at tax audits and in court proceedings. I honestly believe this recommendation will aid you in what you seek. However, I am going to opt out so that another person can answer you. By the way, to become a CPA we need to complete an accepted course of education in an accredited college, meet experience requirements and pass one of the most strict licensing exams in the nation. To help you understand this I am attaching the link to a short article about CPA's.