Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I purchased some airline tickets on 5/28/11 and paid the air

Customer Question
transportation tax on them....
I purchased some airline tickets on 5/28/11 and paid the air transportation tax on them. I now understand the authority for this tax expired on 7/23/11 for tickets purchased on or before 7/22/11. Please advise the form number required to file for a refund. TGhank you. Sidney Howard [email protected]
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
8/3/2011
Tax Professional: Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert replied 6 years ago
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Hi & thanks for using our service. I'll do my best to give you a complete & accurate answer. Please ask me to clarify anything you don't understand.

I'll get you the correct form to use. Just give me a minute.

However, what airline are you dealing with? Delta just reversed their position & they are going to issue refunds.

The IRS is encouraging all airlines to issue the refunds because the IRS is going to required documentation supporting the refund claim & evidently that is going to be difficult for some passengers.

I expect that most of the rest of the airlines will comply with the IRS request, mainly because they already have the necessary information.

The airlines in question are Continental and Southwest

Here's a link to Form 843 which you can use to claim the refund on the transportation excise tax. However, based upon what's going on, I might consider waiting until things settle down with the airlines & their compliance with the IRS request to process the refunds. At this point, I believe that you have to make the request for them to process the refund, as least as far as Delta is concerned. The other's may follow suit.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f843.pdf

Please remember to "ACCEPT", it is the only way we get credit for our work. Feedback, if you have time, and bonuses, where you feel they are warranted, are always most appreciated. Thanks again for using our service. I'll be happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Stephen G.
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert