How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15328
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father who is a retired Army General has been taken advantage

Customer Question

My father who is a retired Army General has been taken advantage of over the last several years by a waitress he met. We are in the process of reporting this to the Dept of Elderly Abuse. She has been taking hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars out of his checking account each month with "his knowledge and approval". He has dementia,so we know he is not cognizant of how much this is affecting his 24/7 nursing care . Is the only way we can trap her would be to report her to the IRS since she has had quite the income thanks to taking advangtage of an elderly (88) year old man?Please advise.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 5 years ago.

Robin D :

If you suspect or know of an individual or company that is not complying with the tax laws, you may report this activity by completing Form 3949-A. You may fill out Form 3949-A online, print it and mail it to:

Internal Revenue Service
Fresno, CA 93888

If you do not wish to use Form 3949-A, you may send a letter to the address above. Please include the following information, if available:

  • Name and address of the person you are reporting
  • The taxpayer identification number (social security number for an individual or employer identification number for a business)
  • A brief description of the alleged violation, including how you became aware of or obtained the information
  • The years involved
  • The estimated dollar amount of any unreported income
  • Your name, address and daytime telephone number

    You do not have to sign the letter or state your name but your identity will be kept confidential.
    I hope this helps
Robin D :

If she is acting as his care giver for pay then that would mean income to her that would need to be reported.

JACUSTOMER-2tu18t8s- :

What else do you advise beyond IRS. She is not a caregiver.

Robin D :

Are checks written to her?

Robin D :

Or does she just take money out with no paper trail

Robin D :

I know it must be difficult to watch the Financila Exploitation of your father, but unless you can say that he is paying her for something the IRS will not be involved.

Robin D :

In the U.S., you can also call Eldercare Locator at 1-800-677-1116. I know you said you are in the process of reporting but if you have not contacted the number here do so.