How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15175
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

US citizen, has never lived or worked in the US, (born outside

Customer Question

US citizen, has never lived or worked in the US, (born outside country), no divect US income. Must I file return? Jeoffrey
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 5 years ago.

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.
You as a US citizen should be filing a US tax return. The IRS will normally accept the past 7 years from the citizen that should have been filing but did not. US citizens that live outside the US do not have a free pass on filing tax retruns. US citizens are taxed on worldwide income but they are also allowed to exclude earned income abroad and also to use the foreign tax credit if they are taxed on income in another country. There is alos a tax treaty with countries (Canada included) that determines which country will tax on which type of income. This mainly deals with where the income is earned or sourced.
In short, yes you shoudl file a US tax return unless you intend to give up your US citizenship.