How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15457
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi Do i need to register for Itin personal tax in The Usa,

Customer Question

Hi Do i need to register for Itin personal tax in The Usa, and if so do i then have to complete a zero return. I am a Uk citizen and will be running the business buying and selling property (Detriot) investments via an international Business Company.IBC OFF SHORE
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 years ago.

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.
An ITIN, or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, is a tax processing number only available for certain nonresident and resident aliens, their spouses, and dependents who cannot get a Social Security Number (SSN).
An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is also known as a federal tax identification number, and is used to identify a business entity.
If the business will be involved in this buying an dselling of US property and not you as an individual then you will need an EIN for the business and not an ITIN for yourself.

If you were incorporated outside of the United States or the U.S. territories, you cannot apply for an EIN online. Please call us at (267) 941-1099 (this is not a toll free number) between the hours of 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. Eastern Time.

If you as an individual will be buying an dselling the US properties then you will need an ITIN and you can apply for one now without filing a US tax return. You will use the W7 form and submit all the required documents.

Acceptance Agents are entities (colleges, financial institutions, accounting firms, etc.) who are authorized by the IRS to assist applicants in obtaining ITINs. They review the applicant's documentation and forward the completed Form W-7 to IRS for processing.

The following is a public list of Acceptance Agents for Forms W-7. This list is updated quarterly.

National / International CPA Firms *

  • Deloitte and Touche, LLP
  • Ernst & Young LLP
  • PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP

    So if you are not in the US and you will have a business set up to buy and sell the US properties then the business will need and EIn. If you as an individual will be doing this then you will need the ITIN.
JACUSTOMER-fwan4vd3- :

So by having the Ein and buying and selling through the Ibc I have no tax liability to the US

Robin D :

The company will.