Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

A couple purchases a time share & can no longer continue the

Customer Question
payments. A deed in lieu...
A couple purchases a time share & can no longer continue the payments. A deed in lieu is to be executed between the couple & the lender. The amount of debt to be cancelled is 46,000 & the fmv of the property is 60,000. The couple's basis is 6,000. The lender will be issuing a 1099-C showing these amounts. Is there any taxable income to be reported by the couple?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
8/1/2011
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 6 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

LEV :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
The disposition of the property will be treated as a sale at FMV.
The rest of cancelled debt will generally be included into taxable income unless insolvency exception may be used.

If insolvency exception may NOT be used - the couple will have long term capital gain $54,000 and ordinary income $46,000

If insolvency exception MAY be used - part of cancelled debt will reduce the basis - but not below zero - thus - the couple will have a long term capital gain $60,000.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
If the insolvency exception may be used, why does the couple have to pay l-t capital gain of 60,000? Does the principal paid in the note increase basis?

When you claim insolvency exemption on the form 982 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f982.pdf - we also have to provide a reduction of Tax Attributes - means the basis have to be reduced by the amount of debt forgiven - but not below zero - in your situation that will be reported on the line 10a.
So the basis will be adjusted to zero.

The capital gain will be determined as $60,000 (assumed selling price) - zero (adjusted basis) = $60,000.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor