How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 55723
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 62 years old and would like to draw a lump sum out of

Resolved Question:

I am 62 years old and would like to draw a lump sum out of my 401K. What will I be penalized if any for doing that? do I have to pay it back?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Good afternoon. If you take it as a withdrawal, because you are over 59 1/2, you will have no early withdrawal penalty. Rather, you simply include the withdrawal amount in your ordinary income and you will pay tax on it at your marginal income tax rate...I'm presuming that none of the contributions were made on an after-tax Roth basis. If taken as a withdrawal, there is no obligation to repay the withdrawn amount. If you borrow from your 401k, it is not included in your income, but you do have to repay it just like any other loan would be repayable.



I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!


If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.


If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.


If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.


Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have different intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply general information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.


Richard and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you