Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I currently live and work in Michigan but I plan to take a

Customer Question
job in Wisconsin. I plan...
I currently live and work in Michigan but I plan to take a job in Wisconsin. I plan to keep my primary residence in Michigan for at least 1 year. Will I have to pay state income tax in both states?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
8/1/2011
Tax Professional: Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert replied 6 years ago
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert

Stephen E. Grizey :

Hi & thanks for using our service. I'll do my best to give you a complete & accurate answer. Please ask me to clarify anything you don't understand.

Stephen E. Grizey :

No.

Stephen E. Grizey :

You will have to file a non-resident return in Wisconsin to pay whatever tax you owe them based upon your Wisconsin earnings.

Stephen E. Grizey :

Then your normal Michigan Resident return will give you a credit against your Michigan tax for any tax you paid to Wisconsin (up to the Michigan tax on the same income), thus eliminating the double tax.

Stephen E. Grizey :

You'll need to attach a copy of your non-resident Wisconsin tax return to your Michigan return to support the credit.

Stephen E. Grizey :

Please remember to "ACCEPT", it is the only way we get credit for our work. Feedback, if you have time, and bonuses, where you feel they are warranted, are always most appreciated. Thanks again for using our service. I'll be happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.

Tax Professional: MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 6 years ago
MequonCPA
MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer:

Different expert here.

Wisconsin has a reciprocity agreement with Michigan. If you only Wisconsin income is from wages, you are not required to file a Wisconsin return unless you need to recoup Wisconsin tax withheld.

You should advise your employer to withhold Michigan tax, not Wisconsin. If your employer is unwilling or unable to withhold Michigan tax you will need to make estimated tax payments to Michigan.

http://www.revenue.wi.gov/pubs/pb121.pdf

http://www.revenue.wi.gov/faqs/pcs/work.html

MequonCPA
MequonCPA