Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

how much money can I give to a South-African person tax fr

Customer Question
ee...
how much money can I give to a South-African person tax fr ee
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
8/1/2011
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 6 years ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello, welcome, and thank you for choosing Just Answer.

In order for me to accurately answer this question, I need to know if you are a U.S. citizen or a U.S. resident alien?

I am a dual South African and British citizen, (I have nothing to do with US).

I want to know if I give a South- AFRICAN citizen who lives in SOuth-Africa a gift of money, how much can I give them without THEM then having to pay tax on it. ( in SOuth-AFrica) SARS
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 6 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

Gift tax is payable where a gift of property is given to another individual who receives the gift (i.e. the beneficiary). The taxable base of the gift is usually the net value of the gift. The gift tax due is usually at a rate of 20%. No gift tax is applied if the value is less than R400. Each resident may only receive two gifts per year.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX information is helpful.

Please advise if you need more info.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
she did not answer my question
just cancel the query please

You can request to have Customer Service refund your deposit. I think others saw the relist and were confused as to the reason since my response advised on how much a South African could receive and not be taxed.

Please contact Customer Service and request the refund of your deposit. Thank you

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4