Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I need to know about unfile returns from 4 years ago for the

Customer Question
IRS. How do I...
I need to know about unfile returns from 4 years ago for the IRS. How do I file these returns in complaince with the IRS. And where to send these completed forms.(mailing address to send forms.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
7/20/2011
Tax Professional: CGCPA, CPA replied 6 years ago
CGCPA
CGCPA, CPA

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.

You have a few choices here. You can prepare and file the returns using the old paper and pencil method. You can also prepare and file the returns using any of a number of FREE software packages available on line. The one I prefer is www.taxact.com I use their professional version in my office. They offer a question and answer mode to help you through the process and, for the 2010 tax year you can still take advantage of electronic filing through them. For earlier years you will need to mail in paper returns.

To see the mailing address for your state or to get to the forms and instructions for form 1040 and its schedules you can access the IRS website at www.irs.gov Your state will also most likely be available (if they require returns) at www.taxact.com or on the web. Just do a search for your state department of taxation.

Tax Professional: jgordosea, Enrolled Agent replied 6 years ago
jgordosea
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent

Greetings,

Here is what you asked for:

<table border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="5" summary="A table providing addresses for individual taxpayers for filing form 1040">Form 1040 Addresses for Individuals living in the 50 Statesid="tbl574id0_0" colspan="2" align="top" valign="top" scope="col">

If you live in ...

and you ARE NOT ENCLOSING A PAYMENT, then use this address...

and you ARE ENCLOSING A PAYMENT, then use this address...

Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina

Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service
Kansas City, MONNN-NN-NNNN/p>

Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service
Kansas City, MONNN-NN-NNNN/p>

Alabama, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Texas

Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service
Austin, TXNNN-NN-NNNN/p>

Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service
Austin, TXNNN-NN-NNNN/p>

Alaska, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service
Fresno, CANNN-NN-NNNN/p>

Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service
Fresno, CANNN-NN-NNNN/p>

Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia

Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service
Kansas City, MO
64999-0002

Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service
Kansas City, MO
64999-0102

Forms to fill out can be found at Prior Year Forms, Instructions and Publications by clicking the link for each year and then scrolling down the list to the form number.

Please ask if you need more information.

Thank you.

Another short point to remember is that any IRS office must accept the Federal return and any state office must accept the state tax return. But, be sure to get a receipt from them if you chose this avenue.
CGCPA
CGCPA
CGCPA, CPA