Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

hello, how is income calculate for filing status married filing

hello, how is income calculate...
hello, how is income calculate for filing status "married filing separately"?
i was under the impression it is 50% of his income + 50% of her income but cannot find the IRS PUB in which this would be explained. Is there one and if so, which one is it?

in case there was a change of law, the tax returns in question are 2009 & 2010,
7/3/2011
Jacy
Jacy, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Jacy :

Jacy :

Yes, there is a pub... give me a minute and I'll get you the link.

Jacy :

Actually, it is a pub. for community property states:

Jacy :

In other states, each spouse can report their own income. But for community property, all items must be divided equally on each tax return.

Jacy :

Thank you for your question!

Customer:

is CA a community property state?

Customer:

i checked this pub but it does not explain how income is calculated for MFS

Customer:

i was under the impression in CA for both a 1040 and a 540, if filing MFS, you need to calculate income by adding 50% of each spouse. Is that correct?

Jacy :

Try the PDF version, page 9 and 10: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p555.pdf

Jacy :

And yes, you are required to include 50% of each spouses income on each tax return.

Jacy :

And yes, California is a community property state.

Customer:

Great . Thanks. Thats what I was looking for. PERFECT!

Jacy
Jacy, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Jacy
Jacy
Jacy, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)