How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29793
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a US Citizen residing in the UK since 1977. I have worked

Resolved Question:

I am a US Citizen residing in the UK since 1977. I have worked for two US airlines, while based in the UK. I am now drawing two airline pensions, sourced in the US via PBGC.
Both pension benefits are paid into my US bank accounts, some of it remitted to the UK when needed. The UK tax authorities claim I should pay tax on these pension benefits in whole in the UK because I am a resident of the UK. The IRS claims I should pay tax on the same penion benefits in whole because I have a US passport.
There is a tax treaty in place to avoid double taxation, but none of the contraction states seem to need to recognize the treaty according to Article 1 of the US/UK tax treaty, leaving both contracting states to do as they wish.
How can that be and how should I go about it?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 6 years ago.


Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
Both taxing authorities are correct. As a UK resident you are fully responsible for UK income tax on all your worldwide income.
As you are US citizen - you are required to report all your worldwide income on your US tax return. Because you are a bona fide resident of the UK - you may claim a foreign earned income exclusion. However your pension income is not earned income and may not be excluded.
However - if the same income is taxed in both countries - you may claim a credit for foreign tax paid on your US tax return - thus effectively will avoid double taxation.
Let me know if you need any clarification of help with reporting.

Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you