How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bill Your Own Question
Bill, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3153
Experience:  EA, CEBS - 35 years experience providing financial advice
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Bill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im a minister, my wife owns a small business...this year we

Resolved Question:

I'm a minister, my wife owns a small business...this year we anticipate having a total taxable income of 0.00 after deductions. In 2009 I borrowed $36,000. from my 403b retirement fund, I have a current payoff of $23,000. If I default on that loan I'm taxed on that as regular income plus a 10% penalty. We purchased a home this year with $25,000. for the down payment. Would the down payment deduction offset the tax on the $23,000 and would the resulting offset negate the 10% early withdrawal tax penalty?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Bill replied 6 years ago.

Bill :

Unfortunately, there is no deduction for a down payment on a home. So the only deductions that might be available if you can itemize are deductions for mortgage interest, real estate taxes, local taxes, charitable deductions, and other miscellaneous deduction. Itemizing will only benefit you if the total deductions exceed the standard deduction for a married couple of $11,600.

Bill :

There are some exceptions to the 10% penalty but these are limited ( for example, after separation from service after age 55, for certain medical expenses, for permanent disability, etc).


So the $23,000. would be considered "regular" income? The penalty would be on the total amount or the

Bill :

Yes, the $23,000 would be taxed as ordinary income and the 10% penalty would be on the full amount. So the penalty would be $2,300.

Bill and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you