Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

For an LLC registered in one state that owns a rental property

in a different state, in...
For an LLC registered in one state that owns a rental property in a different state, in which of these 2 states should the State Tax return be filed?

Thank you.
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/3/2011
Richard, Tax Attorney

Good morning. The rental property income will be reported on the state tax return for the state in which the rental property is located. The LLC may have to file a state tax return for the state in which it is organized, but the rental property income will not be reported on that return.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Thank you for the quick reply.

So that I understand:

The LLC should file a non-resident tax return in the state where the rental property is located, reporting the income/loss, correct?

What determines whether the LLC has to file a return in its registered state as well? (You had said, "may have to file...")

Do the members receive K1s from BOTH of the states involved, to use on their personal returns?

Thank you!
The LLC should file a non-resident tax return in the state where the rental property is located, reporting the income/loss, correct? Yes

What determines whether the LLC has to file a return in its registered state as well? (You had said, "may have to file...") Whether or not that state has a state income tax and if the LLC had any other income.

Do the members receive K1s from BOTH of the states involved, to use on their personal returns? If the answers to question 2 is yes, then yes; if the answers to question 2 are no, then no.
Richard, Tax Attorney
Richard, Tax Attorney