Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I hired an attorney to help with my mothers tax issues. She

Customer Question
I hired an attorney to...
I hired an attorney to help with my mother's tax issues. She owes approximately $5000 in federal taxes. Due to a new diagnosis of congestive heart failure and another health issue that has left her with an open incision, we have moved to where my father's family lives because I needed help with her. Yesterday, we received a notice from the IRS that gives us until the seventh of July to contact them or they will levy. The notice was forwarded on from Virginia to where we are now living. Is it still possible that they would be willing to make payment arrangements with the IRS for the five thousand? I couldn't even contact them yesterday because it is a weekend and with the holiday, won't be able to do so until Tuesday.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
7/3/2011
Tax Professional: Richard, Tax Attorney replied 6 years ago
Richard, Tax Attorney

Good morning. Yes, you still have time....that is simply a form notice. It is simply sent to cause you to contact them and work out a payment plan of some sort. You need simply call them before the 7th and get an extension. They have two plans for folks who cannot afford to pay in full...i) an installment agreement arrangement if it can be paid in up to 60 monthly installments; or ii) an Offer in Compromise program to provide for a settlement if the taxes, penalties and interest cannot be paid over a 60 month period.....if you choose this route, once you file an application, it will put all collection efforts on hold while the Offer is being worked out. You can see the full step by step process to filing the application for an Offer in Compromise in the IRS booklet provided at the following website: www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f656b.pdf

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard, Tax Attorney
Even if it is a CP504? I'm scared to death. We live off her federal pension because I can't leave her alone any longer.
Relist: Other.
I had another question and accidently hit the accept button instead of reply.
Yes, even if it's a CP504. I would take the next couple of days to file an Application for your Offer in Compromise. If you file this on the 6th, it will stop everything.
Richard, Tax Attorney
Richard, Tax Attorney