Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

we are selling our primary residence which is a farm. we have

we are selling our primary...
we are selling our primary residence which is a farm. we have lived there for 6 years and plan to use the capital gains exclusion. the buyers have asked us to split the farm into two separate parcels in order to get residential financing on the smaller parcel. they have asked us to value the remaining land at $1.00 so that the entire purchase price is placed on the home and the smaller parcel. this land is adjacent to the home and we have used it as part of our primary residence.

we are concerned about putting a $1.00 value on the land thinking that the IRS may not perceive this as legal and we also do not want to be audited due to any flags being raised.

should we be worried about this?
7/3/2011
Richard, Tax Attorney

Good evening. The IRS is not going to honor this allocation. You have some flexibility, but this falls under the pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered concept. You need to allocate the value pretty much along fair market value lines of each property.... you can be biased on way or the other a bit, but it needs to be reasonable.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard, Tax Attorney
Richard, Tax Attorney