How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 55315
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I have remodelled my home, and my elderly 90 year old

Customer Question

Hello, I have remodelled my home, and my elderly 90 year old parents moved in with me in Dec. I am single w/ 2 teenage girls. For 2011 taxes, can we file 1 return (between my parents and I) with my filing as 'head of household' and claiming them as dependants? Or are they required to ALSO file a return? Thank you for your time. (their income is limited to SS, and airforce retirment - under 3600/mth)
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Good morning. Your living arrangements do not dictate who has to file a return. Whether or not any particular person has to file a return is based upon their income levels, not who they live with. If your parents had an income level that required them to file a return prior to moving in with you, they still have that requirement.



I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!


If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.


If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.


If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.


The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.


Richard and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.


So my parents did file a return prior to moving in...fathers retirement is 2900/mth, and then they receive social security.

I work fulltime and file a return.

Now that we all live together, I pay all the bills, they no longer drive I take them to all apts, and pay for their medications...

Is there a way to combine things and only I file a return?..looking to make this as cost effective for us as possible.


Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
Unfortunately, the IRS doesn't all a "group" return. I'm sorry!!