How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jacy Your Own Question
Jacy, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 568
Experience:  Nine years individual income tax preparation and consulting
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Jacy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is 24 and entering law school. If I pay his tuition,

Resolved Question:

My son is 24 and entering law school. If I pay his tuition, will I receive any tax benefits?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jacy replied 6 years ago.



In order for you to claim either the tuition deduction or the Lifetime Learning Credit, your son is required to be a dependent on your tax return. Since your son is 24, you must provide over half of his total support AND he must not have earned more than $3,700 in 2011 to be your dependent. If you meet these tests, then you must also not exceed the income limits for these benefits.


Thank you for your question,



Jacy and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions