Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Filed W1040 for self-employment. Should I file amended return for HSH?

I was self-employed last year...

I was self-employed last year and I filed a W1040 tax form. Everything went through well. I did it through an H&R computer program. Currently I am in need of financial aid as I am going to college. I qualify for the Pell grant but the financial aid advisors have told me that my forms were done incorrectly and they need verification as to where the funds came from because of the fact that I do not have a W2 form. Please, clear this up for me.

6/15/2011
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Robin D :

You stated that you filed a W1040 do you mean that you used a substitute W2 form to show income form your self employment? If so then your return is not correct. You should have filed showing your self employment on a Schedule C. Please look at your return and see if you have a Schedule C for business. If not then you need to file an amended return and show your income and all expenses on the Schedule C.

JACUSTOMER :

I did not have a business. I was a personal care assistant. Why did H&R block accept it as such and why did the IRS, also.

On the line for the W2 it says HSH and my total income. What is HSH?

I did not substitute anything. I tried to read with precision as to which form I would need according to my situation.

Robin D :

If you did not receive a W2 and you were paid using a 1099MISC for reporting to you your income form the personal care assistant then you were self employed. The system accepted your designation as a Household Employee (that is what HSH means by line 7).

The IRS computer accepted your return but that does not mean the IRS would not at a later time audit the return. They have up to 3 years to take a second look at your return after the filing.

You say you were a personal care assistant. The question is were you an employee or an independent contractor.

People such as doctors, dentists, veterinarians, lawyers, accountants, contractors, subcontractors, public stenographers, or auctioneers who are in an independent trade, business, or profession in which they offer their services to the general public are generally independent contractors. However, whether these people are independent contractors or employees depends on the facts in each case. The general rule is that an individual is an independent contractor if the payer has the right to control or direct only the result of the work and not what will be done and how it will be done. The earnings of a person who is working as an independent contractor are subject to Self-Employment Tax.
The earnings and expenses would be on Schedule C.

JACUSTOMER :

Thank you for time and answers.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4