How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marvin,EA Your Own Question
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1672
Experience:  Enrolled to Represent Taxpayers Before The IRS
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Marvin,EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

One of my children is autistic. What about income tax forms

Resolved Question:

One of my children is autistic. He lives outside the U.S. in a European country. He is 40 years old and not capable of taking care of himself in any way. He is under the care of a caretaker who is not a family member. As I (mother) am now older I want to see that his legal situation is clear before I pass on. Because of his handicap, can I get a form which releases him from the duty of filing income tax forms? He has no income other than a pension from the government. If such a possibility does not exist the only other alternative is that I give up his American passport and that seems too bad. Any advice? What would a family with an autistic child do inside the States about income tax forms for their adult handicapped child? Thank you
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 6 years ago.

Marvin,EA :

Hello and thanks you for using Just Answer. I am sorry but U.S. citizens regardless of their medical condition are subject to tax on worldwide income and must file a federal income tax return.

Marvin,EA and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you