How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marvin,EA Your Own Question
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1672
Experience:  Enrolled to Represent Taxpayers Before The IRS
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Marvin,EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

overseas residents and US tax forms

Resolved Question:

My son has an American and a EU passport. He was born in Switzerland, and has lived in Switzerland his entire life and works as a teacher. He does not earn more than 90,000 dollars a year and he pays Swiss taxes. Does he have to file an American income tax form?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 6 years ago.

Marvin,EA :

Hello and thanks you for using Just Answer. U.S. citizens who maintain a tax home outside the U.S. and its territories are still subject to tax on worldwide income and must file a tax return.

Marvin,EA :

Your son will be able to exclude up to $91,500 (for 2010) of his foreign earned income from his taxable income. He must file Forms 1040 and 2555 to receive the credit. The forms are available at the IRS web site,,.

Marvin,EA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you