How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CGCPA Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3820
Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters
Type Your Tax Question Here...
CGCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an Oklahoma resident working in the military stationed

Customer Question

I am an Oklahoma resident working in the military stationed in California, and I am being assigned to North Carolina in two weeks. I recently purchased a used vehicle here in California. I told the dealer that I was not going to be registering the vehicle in California, and that I was going to have it registered in Oklahoma. I ended up paying taxes in California, but when my mom went to register the vehicle in Oklahoma I was also taxed. So ultimately I was double taxed. Is there anything I can do to resolve this issue?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  CGCPA replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.

If you can prove to Oklahoma that you paid the tax to California, Oklahoma will refund you the lower of the two taxes. You can request the refund via a letter to OK with a copy of the purchase paperwork.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is there a reference I can have to provide them if there are any problems?
Expert:  CGCPA replied 6 years ago.
I am sorry I do not have that. However, there should not be a problem. If there is please feel free to return to me and I will be happy to assist you in this.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks Charles. Is there a time limit on how long we will be allowed to have contact through
Expert:  CGCPA replied 6 years ago.
As long as you save this for access, I believe the time limit is one year.