How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask BK-CPA Your Own Question
BK-CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 933
Experience:  Owner of a CPA firm
Type Your Tax Question Here...
BK-CPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a pair of old (mid 90s) tax liens in the state of California

Customer Question

I have a pair of old (mid 90s) tax liens in the state of California that I need to pay off in order to qualify for a new home loan. I've been to the Franchise Tax Board's web site, but I can't seem to figure out how to satisfy the lien--who/how to pay, exact balance due, etc. Time is becoming an issue, as we would like to close in four or five weeks. Help!
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  BK-CPA replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.


The FTB gives information here:


Payment options here:


I trust this answers your question. Thank you!!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  CGCPA replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.

Here is a link to the Franchise Tax Board's web site page which provides telephone contact numbers. They will be able to give you an exact amount due and arrange payment with you. Due to the state's budget problems they will be quite willing to assist you in getting this resolved.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Where's the link?
Expert:  CGCPA replied 6 years ago.

I apologize. Apparently it did not paste in. Here it is:

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I've already tried the Franchise Tax Board web site (and all the numbers contained therein). The state of California is broke--those numbers are all recordings. As I tried to imply in the question, the obvious avenues have been exhausted. I need to speak to an actual person with access to OLD lien records.
Expert:  CGCPA replied 6 years ago.

There is also a live chat function on the site. It does work but has specific hours. Calling the telephone numbers or trying the live chat after those hours will not work. Tax liens are also recorded by the Secretary of State for the State of California in the county where you lived at the time. The following link will take you to a page with those contact capabilities.


Expert:  BK-CPA replied 6 years ago.

Sorry, I didn't post the contact link originally. Unfortunately, it still hasn't been posted above (the above was general contact info and a repeat of the link in the first post). Try this:


"Lien Contacts


    <table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2">Phone or fax number 800.689.4776
    916.845.4470 (not toll-free)916.845.4389 (fax)







PS - keep a copy if you use mail-





Sorry for any delay in getting your answer here. We do appreciate your question!