Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My ex-wife says that the irs sent her a refund & then took

Customer Question
a large sum of money...
My ex-wife says that the irs sent her a refund & then took a large sum of money from her account(without notification) on taxes owed in 2001, out of her account for this years refund.However, at that time we were seperated & filed as such, needless to say she wants me to pay the amount. How do i retrieve my tax information from that year since I'm not required to keep records past seven yrs. & I know that my refund was used to pay off a student loan & child support.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
6/1/2011
Tax Professional: Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney replied 6 years ago
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney

Wallstreet Esq. :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarification.

Wallstreet Esq. :

First she would have the burden of proving that you owe her the money and she will need to show the tax return in Family Court.

Wallstreet Esq. :

You can order a tax transcript from the IRS, at their website as well.

Wallstreet Esq. : <table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

Need a Copy of Your Tax Return Information?

Requesting transcripts (individuals):

You have three easy and convenient options for getting copies of your federal tax return information--tax return transcripts and tax account transcripts--by phone, by mail, or online.

Our new online ordering method, Order A Transcript, is available and makes ordering simple.

You may also request transcripts by calling 1-800-908-9946, or order by mail using IRS Form 4506T (Request for Transcript of Tax Return).

We do not charge a fee for transcripts. Allow five to ten days for delivery if you order online or by phone.

Definitions:

A tax return transcript shows most line items from your tax return (Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ) as it was originally filed, including any accompanying forms and schedules. It does not reflect any changes you, your representative or the IRS made after the return was filed. In many cases, a return transcript will meet the requirements of lending institutions such as those offering mortgages and for applying for student loans.

A tax account transcript shows any later adjustments either you or the IRS made after the tax return was filed. This transcript shows basic data, including marital status, type of return filed, adjusted gross income and taxable income.

Wallstreet Esq. :

This is from the IRS site

Wallstreet Esq. :

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=110571,00.html

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney