How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 38802
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Tax Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently sold a property in Arizona at a considerable loss.

Resolved Question:

I recently sold a property in Arizona at a considerable loss. On top of that the US government took away ten percent of the selling price in taxes. That`s over 40-thousand dollars US. Is there any way I can recover all or part of that money? T. Parsonage.
Victoria, British Columbia
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.
The US-Canada Tax treaty provides reciprocal taxes and credits between nations.

You can file a form 1040NR, and, if you had no gain on sale, then you would owe no tax to the USA, and the Department of the Treasury will refund to you the entire 10% withheld.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

socrateaser and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions