How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MequonCPA Your Own Question
MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2342
Experience:  CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
MequonCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am the owner of a sole proprietorship and my husband is the

Resolved Question:

I am the owner of a sole proprietorship and my husband is the only employee (part-time), performing essential services for the business. I am establishing an HRA for this business and will fund it for him and his dependent (me) at a level to cover insurance premiums. Can he work for this HRA benefit only with $0 wages and no W-2?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  MequonCPA replied 6 years ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer:


The HRA benefits are reimbursements for expenses to employees. To provide the benefit an individual must be at least a part time employee and have compensation that is at least taxable for social security and medicare purposes. The reimburement is an expense of the business not a reduction of compensation for the employee. It is important to determine the proper reimbursement level based on compensation. As an extreme example, compensation of $100 per month not likely to support a $20,000 reimbursement amount. You should work with one of the company's that administers these type of plans to determine the appropriate compensation and reimbursement level.

MequonCPA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you