Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am planning to live in Mexico for 3 months but will continue

Customer Question
to work for my US...
I am planning to live in Mexico for 3 months but will continue to work for my US based company. I answer customer e-mails, take care of our Facebook page, twitter account, etc. I am not required to be in Mexico for my job, I just want to get away from the cold and all I need is internet and a phone. My pay wil be deposited into my US bank. I will be in Mexico on a tourist visa. Do I need to know/do anyting special as far as taxes are concerned? Does my company need to do anything if I am out of the country for 3 months?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
5/3/2011
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 6 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

LEV :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
Generally - if you employer doesn't send you specifically to Mexico - and just allows you to what from whatever location you are - there is nothing they need to arrange.
However you should be aware that to legally work in Mexico - you should have the right permit issues be the Mexican Government to people who are sponsored by companies in Mexico or foreign companies with Mexican operations, or to persons with specific skills required in Mexico.
You still can enter Mexico to work for a foreign company provided that you do not receive any remuneration directly from a Mexican company or subsidiary. If that is correct - you will continue report your tax liability to the US and nothing you will owe to Mexican tax authorities.
Because the trip is primary personal - you may not deduct any travel expenses.
Based on information provided - neither you nor your employer need anything to arrange for your temporary visit.

Let me know if you need any help or clarification.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor