How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29577
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am planning to live in Mexico for 3 months but will continue

Customer Question

I am planning to live in Mexico for 3 months but will continue to work for my US based company. I answer customer e-mails, take care of our Facebook page, twitter account, etc. I am not required to be in Mexico for my job, I just want to get away from the cold and all I need is internet and a phone. My pay wil be deposited into my US bank. I will be in Mexico on a tourist visa. Do I need to know/do anyting special as far as taxes are concerned? Does my company need to do anything if I am out of the country for 3 months?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 6 years ago.


Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
Generally - if you employer doesn't send you specifically to Mexico - and just allows you to what from whatever location you are - there is nothing they need to arrange.
However you should be aware that to legally work in Mexico - you should have the right permit issues be the Mexican Government to people who are sponsored by companies in Mexico or foreign companies with Mexican operations, or to persons with specific skills required in Mexico.
You still can enter Mexico to work for a foreign company provided that you do not receive any remuneration directly from a Mexican company or subsidiary. If that is correct - you will continue report your tax liability to the US and nothing you will owe to Mexican tax authorities.
Because the trip is primary personal - you may not deduct any travel expenses.
Based on information provided - neither you nor your employer need anything to arrange for your temporary visit.

Let me know if you need any help or clarification.