Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

hi i have a truck and atrailer with a unit do i file fuel report

Customer Question
sepratly on trailer as of...
hi i have a truck and atrailer with a unit do i file fuel report sepratly on trailer as of truck or is it the same to just add them togeather .comes out more on truck than it dose the trailer. witch we dont run much .it depends on what we haul .
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
5/3/2011
Tax Professional: BK-CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 6 years ago
BK-CPA
BK-CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hello and thank you for your question.

Unless the trailer has an engine that burns fuel, you probably won't be allocating fuel to the trailer. The gas is used in the truck, which may or may not be hauling a trailer (for business purposes).

Vehicles are listed property and it is important to keep track of their business use percentage for purposes of depreciation. See IRC 280F, here:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode26/usc_sec_26_00000280---F000-.html#d_4

There is no deduction for personal expenses (IRC 262) with respect to a trailer or automobile generally (ie... save for taxes perhaps, IRC 164), so for either, you should be keeping track of your personal use percentage and allocating the deductibility of your expenses accordingly.

I trust this answers your question. Thank you again!

BK-CPA
BK-CPA