How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wendy Reed Your Own Question
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3346
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wendy Reed is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, Where on our 2009 tax forms generated by turbo tax would

Customer Question

Where on our 2009 tax forms generated by turbo tax would we look to see if we entered pension distribution information? My wife receives about 10k a year from her mom's estate which they don't take taxes out of (or very minimal taxes). I looked over the return and supporting docs which I have on PDF and didn't see it. Unfortunately the computer had to be rebuilt and we lost the TT file and 2009 version of the application itself so I can't reload it and go through the prompts without re-installing TT '09 (if I can find it) and re-entering the whole thing again.
We have managed to successfully document this income in TT for several years prior to '09 so we were unpleasantly surprised when we got a letter from the IRS a couple days ago informing us that we owed about $2500 in taxes for '09 because the pension fund reported the income to them but they didn't see the corresponding amount reflected in what we sent in. We reported it in this year's tax returns as well so I thought if I knew where to look I could check both returns and if it's not there in 2009 we can pay it. It seems odd though that we did it right in other years and yet somehow it didn't show up in 2009. Now I'm wondering if TT transferred it right this year or if something got messed up on the 2010 return as well.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I will give the best answer that I can with the information provided.


Hello there,

Most likely if your wife is receiving a pension from a decedent, you should be receiving form 1099R. The amounts for the taxable portion of the pension should go from this form onto line 15b (for IRA) or 16b (pension) of your 2009 1040.


Please let me know if you need additional assistance..