How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zip Taxes Your Own Question
Zip Taxes
Zip Taxes, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 156
Experience:  CTEC Licensed / Mgmt Experience with H & R Block... Self Employed since 1986 Experienced in all Scheds
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Zip Taxes is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am working in a company since 2009. I was on student f1 visa

Resolved Question:

I am working in a company since 2009. I was on student f1 visa (OPT) up till Sept 2010 and my status changed from student visa to H1 in Oct 2010.

When I joined the company, I was not fully aware of tax laws and I paid SSN and medicare taxes that I am not supposed to pay while I was on student visa.

I want to know if I can claim back the SSN and medicare taxes that I paid in 2010 while I was on student visa?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Zip Taxes replied 6 years ago.

Zip Taxes :

Welcome to Just Answers, I will do my best to Answer your Question.

Zip Taxes :

Usually, the Employer must reimburse you the money and it is the employer's responsibility to get reimbursed from the government entities. So go back to the employer or the Human Resources Department and let them know of the issue, they should be able to fix it for you.

Zip Taxes :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX it works out for you.

Zip Taxes and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you