Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If I form a single member Missouri LLC and its only purpose

Customer Question
is to own 95% of...
If I form a single member Missouri LLC and its only purpose is to own 95% of the interest in a CA LLC, do I need to pay $800 franchise tax to the CA FTB for the Missouri LLC?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
5/2/2011
Tax Professional: Richard, Tax Attorney replied 6 years ago
Richard, Tax Attorney

Good afternoon. No, you do not, because the LLC is not actively operating in CA and does not need to register to do business there.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

How about if the foreign LLC owns real estate in CA and contract another independent property management company to manage the properties?
If you own rental real estate in CA and contract a property management company to manage the properties, you are going to be doing business in CA and be subject to the tax.
Richard, Tax Attorney
Richard, Tax Attorney