How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 55442
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I bought a house for 500,000 and am selling it now for 800,000,

Resolved Question:

If I bought a house for 500,000 and am selling it now for 800,000, but owe money to various creditors for 200,000, and want to pay off those creditors during the sale of the house (i.e escrow), is my capital gains calulated this way... 800,000 - 500,000 minus 200,000 totaling is a Capital Gains liability of 100,000? (of which I can use my 250,000 exemption?)?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Good morning. Your capital gain is $800,000 less $500,000. Your credit card debt is not relevant to the computation of gain because it is not part of your basis and it does not reduce your sale price. So, you have a capital gain of $300,000. You can use the $250,000 capital gain exclusion ($500,000 if you are married).



I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!


If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.


If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.


If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.


The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.



Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The creditor I was referring to is not a credit card creditor, it is actually someone who has taken a 2nd trust deed out on the property, with the total amount being close to $200,000.


Would paying off that debt be deducted from the Capital Gains tax? If not, what would be deducted exactly?

Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
Sorry for the delay...went to lunch.. No...unfortunately, what debt you have doesn't make any difference...the only thing that matters is what you paid for it, plus improvements, and what you sell it for.
Richard and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions