Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am in Afghanistan and am trying to do my taxes using the

Customer Question
physical presence test. I do...
I am in Afghanistan and am trying to do my taxes using the physical presence test. I do not qualify for the full refund in tax year 2010 as I got here in May 2010. Therefore I am only elegable for the first $66k this tax year. My question is do i file for the physical presence test again next year for the remaining $25.5k tax exemptions or do I just not get the full $91.5k? Thanks.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
5/2/2011
Tax Professional: CGCPA, CPA replied 6 years ago
CGCPA
CGCPA, CPA

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.

Each year you will need to prepare the test. You may qualify in one year and not in another depending on your circumstance. However, any year for which you qualify will produce tax savings for you. Be careful to document your travel and dates as you go along. Keep a log and any travel receipts for travel expenses. They will help you to determine if you qualify and will support your position if you are ever questioned.

I think I know what you are saying. Just to clarify though...I am going home in a week so that means I was here from May 2010 - May 2011. Unfortunately I will only get the first 66k tax exempt due to me going into the 2011 tax year. Now even though I am not going to be in Afghanistan anymore can I still get the physical presence test for the next tax year (2011). That would not be a full year in that tax year. I am currently going to claim between April 2010-2011 as my tax year after following the IRS Publication 54 formula. I basically just need to know how to get the full 91.5k tax exemption as I was over here for 330 full days. Thanks again.
The problem is that you may only be entitled to a partial exemption in each year since your tax year has been determined by prior filings. Most individuals will need to be calendar year filers. Since you are earning abroad you will be entitled to a partial exemption for the 2010 year ($66,000 as you have determined) and for 2011 will most likely be entitled to an exemption for up to $25,500 if your 2011 foreign earnings are at or less than that amount.
CGCPA
CGCPA, CPA
CGCPA
CGCPA
CGCPA, CPA