How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15430
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got a notice form IRS telling me that they have my tax return

Resolved Question:

I got a notice form IRS telling me that they have my tax return of 2010, because their record show that I owed other federal taxes under my ex husband Social Security for 2008.
2008 I was separate from my husband and living 5 hours far from his address more than six months that is why my book keeper advice me to submit my tax of 2008 as single,

after I submit my taxes as single, and my ex husband submit his taxes as join account, he used my Social security number and fake my signature.

I don't have any legal separation prove. my divorce paper start 2010 and still in court.

What can help me to prove that I'm not under this owed.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 years ago.

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer

Robin D :

You may be eligible for relief, but relief does not fall under the innocent spouse rules. If you can establish your signature was forged, and there was not tacit (implied) consent, the joint election is invalid and you will only be liable for your separate tax liability. The Married Filing Separate return you filed should be brought the attention of the IRS. Get the accountant that assisted you in the filing for 2008 to help you in showing the documentation that the IRS will request. Call the num,ber on the notice that you received and explain the situation to them. The agent will be able to explain what they will need from you.

Robin D. and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you