Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

How can I keep the IRS from finding my bank account

?...
How can I keep the IRS from finding my bank account ?
5/2/2011
Richard, Tax Attorney

Good afternoon. The only way to do so is to open an account under something other than your own social security number. The IRS has pretty much unfettered access to all information tied to your SSN. So, you would want to form an entity with a separate EIN not tied to you in any way. Or, you want to take the money out of those bank accounts. Moving cities really does no good. I'm sorry!

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

I was editing my question when you posted your response. You're quick! Here is my edited question:

How can I keep the IRS from finding my bank account and what is the detailed procedure they go through to find it; is there some "national" database where they can plug in my SS number and find it no matter where it is and are there any "triggers" that cause a bank to notify them of an account or do they have to send a levy to each bank they suspect I may have an account with?
No worries. They can access everything by your SSN. Yes, there is a national database through which the IRS can access everything connected to your SSN. The banks don't have to be proactive, but all accounts are accessible to the IRS because of reporting requirements the bank with regard to all accounts. The key is to open an account under an entity with its own EIN....to obtain the EIN you will want to make sure you are not the responsible party because that will tie it to you as well. It's difficult, because unfortunately Big Brother is pretty much always watching!
Richard, Tax Attorney
Richard, Tax Attorney