Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Trouble with understanding the difference between 50% and 100%

Customer Question
deductions. As a Real Estate...
Trouble with understanding the difference between 50% and 100% deductions. As a Real Estate Sales Agent, if I’m with a client for lunch and we discuss business such as a listing agreement or a purchase contract; is the cost of that lunch 100% deductible? Or if I’m traveling from one appointment to another and have lunch by myself is that 50% or 100% or deductible at all? If so, how should I record it in my Quicken program?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
5/1/2011
Tax Professional: Richard, Tax Attorney replied 6 years ago
Richard, Tax Attorney

Good afternoon....If you are having lunch with a client and discuss business...you can deduct 50% of it. If you are simply traveling between appointments and have lunch alone, it is not deductible at all and should be entered as a nondeductible expense.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard, Tax Attorney
Richard, Tax Attorney