How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29654
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a going to become a graduate student starting in the fall

This answer was rated:

I am a going to become a graduate student starting in the fall and will be moving out of state for school. I actually own a condo and will not sell it during my two years in school. During the two years, I plan to not sell and continue to pay state and local property taxes. Could I still claim the condo as my principle residence even though I'll be out of state and renting another apartment near school?


Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
Yes - you are are out of home temporary while at school - your home still will be considered your primary home.
You may deduct your mortgage interest and real estate taxes on your tax return.
Let me know if you need any help with reporting.


Just a clarifying question - I live in Chicago and there is a homeowner exemption program that reduces the tax if you as a owner are living in the property as a principle unit. can i also make that exemption claim as well?


Here is the exact website link with the description: ??

Lev and 5 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you