Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My mother died in 2010. She had an annuity that was part of

Customer Question
My mother died in 2010...
My mother died in 2010. She had an annuity that was part of a living trust. When I surrendered the annuity they indicated that she had $3,900 in accumulated interest and charged $5,900 in surrender charges. For federal taxes on the trust does the surrender charge offset the interest income?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
Relist: I still need help.
Answered in 77 days by:
7/4/2011
Tax Professional: Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent replied 6 years ago
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Hello and thanks you for using Just Answer. You will be able to deduct the surrender charge from the annuity as a miscellaneous itemized deduction on Form Schedule A-Itemized Deductions subject to 2% of your adjusted gross income. You must also claim the accumulated interest as income on your tax return.
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent